See and Learn Vocabulary 2 Kit (was First Vocabulary 2)
(Excluding VAT where applicable)
See and Learn Vocabulary 2 provides activities and step-by-step guidance to help parents and educators teach young children to understand and say 60 common early words. It is part of See and Learn Language and Reading – a structured teaching programme designed to teach children with Down syndrome to talk and to read.
See and Learn Vocabulary 2 includes 52 pictures, together with a detailed guide and record sheets. The pictures provide visual support for teaching spoken language. New words are introduced steadily and taught through a sequence of simple matching, selecting and naming activities.
The vocabulary taught in See and Learn Vocabulary 2 is selected from the words most commonly learned early in life by most children. Pictures in the app can be personalised to be more meaningful for individual children. The activities are intended to supplement natural, everyday opportunities to learn language with the additional support most children with Down syndrome need to learn to communicate.
See and Learn Vocabulary 2 includes three activities:
- Matching Pictures - begins to teach the meaning of new words and encourages your child to look carefully at pictures, and to learn to distinguish between them
- Selecting Pictures - learning to understand the spoken words by linking them with the correct pictures
- Naming Pictures - encourages your child to practise saying the correct words for pictures
- Developmentally appropriate language for children learning early spoken words
- Activities designed to reduce language and working memory demands
- Clear pictures provide visual representation of words
- Comprehensive guide providing step-by-step guidance and instructions
- Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
- Ideal for use at home and in the classroom
- (Apps) Simple and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on the information presented and learning goals
- (Apps) Optional voice prompts
- (Apps) Pictures can be personalized to be specific to the child
- US English: airplane, balloon, belly, bike, boat, boots, box, bread, bubbles, bus, chicken, dinner, dress, ear, foot, garden, hand, horse, house, juice, light, monkey, pants, rabbit, soap, star, sweater, swing, teeth, television, toothbrush, towel, train, tree, yogurt, clapping, cutting, jumping, kissing, playing, reading, running, splashing, throwing, big, cold, dirty, hot, little, wet, down, up (pictured); find, it, match, picture, this, want, with, what (taught in activities)
- UK English: aeroplane, balloon, bike, boat, boots, box, bread, bubbles, bus, chicken, dinner, dress, ear, foot, garden, hand, horse, house, juice, jumper, light, monkey, rabbit, soap, star, swing, teeth, television, toothbrush, towel, train, tree, trousers, tummy, yoghurt, clapping, cutting, jumping, kissing, playing, reading, running, splashing, throwing, big, cold, dirty, hot, little, wet, down, up (pictured); find, it, match, picture, this, want, with, what (taught in activities)
When to start
See and Learn Vocabulary 2 is designed for children who understand 50 to 60 words and say or sign 10 or more words.
Children who have completed See and Learn Vocabulary 1 will be ready to start See and Learn Vocabulary 2.
Many children with Down syndrome will reach this stage by about 24 months, but rates of progress vary widely - some children will reach this stage earlier, some later.
See and Learn Vocabulary 2 can also be used with older children who are not yet saying all of these words even if they understand them.
See and Learn Vocabulary 2 is available as an app or as a ready-made kit.
- See and Learn Vocabulary 2 for Apple iPads - now available
- See and Learn Vocabulary 2 for Android Tablets - coming soon
- See and Learn Vocabulary 2 for Windows 10 devices - coming soon
(Apps include US and UK English editions.)
This is the English edition kit, including resources for both US and UK English.
Please visit the See and Learn web site for further information about See and Learn Language and Reading.