See and Learn Vocabulary 1 Kit (was First Vocabulary 1)
(Excluding VAT where applicable)
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 provides activities and step-by-step guidance to help parents and educators teach young children to understand and say 60 common first words. It is the first step in See and Learn Language and Reading – a structured teaching programme designed to teach children with Down syndrome to talk and to read.
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 includes 2 sets of 48 pictures, together with a detailed guide and record sheets. The pictures provide visual support for teaching spoken language. New words are introduced steadily and taught through a sequence of 4 simple looking, matching, selecting and naming activities.
The vocabulary taught in See and Learn Vocabulary is selected from the words most commonly learned first by most children. The activities are intended to supplement natural, everyday opportunities to learn language with the additional support most children with Down syndrome need to learn to communicate.
In addition to teaching early vocabulary, See and Learn Vocabulary 1 teaches children to look carefully and identify the differences between pictures in matching and selecting games that can be used later to teach a variety of new vocabulary, sight words and phrases. It also encourages young children to pay attention and engage in teaching activities for short periods of time.
- US English: apple, baby, bag, ball, banana, bath, bear, bed, bird, blocks, book, brush, brushing, car, cat, chair, coat, cookie, cow, crying, cup, daddy, dog, doll, drink, drinking, duck, eating, eyes, fish, flower, hair, hat, keys, mouth, mommy, nose, phone, pig, sheep, shoes, sitting, sleeping, socks, spoon, table, walking, washing (pictured); finished, gone, in, look, me, more, point, put, show, wait, what, where (introduced in teaching activities)
- UK English: apple, baby, bag, ball, banana, bath, bed, bird, biscuit, book, bricks, brush, brushing, car, cat, chair, coat, cow, crying, cup, daddy, dog, dolly, drink, drinking, duck, eating, eyes, fish, flower, hair, hat, keys, mouth, mummy, nose, phone, pig, sheep, shoes, sitting, sleeping, socks, spoon, table, teddy, walking, washing (pictured); finished, gone, in, look, me, more, point, put, show, wait, what, where (introduced in teaching activities)
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 includes four activities:
- Looking at Pictures - begins to teach the meaning of new words and to pay attention and engage in a learning activity for short periods of time
- Matching Pictures - encourages your child to look more closely at pictures introduced in the first activity, and to learn to distinguish between them
- Selecting Pictures - learning to understand the spoken words by linking them with the correct pictures
- Naming Pictures - encourages your child to practise saying the correct words for pictures
- Developmentally appropriate language for children learning their first spoken words
- Activities designed to reduce language and working memory demands
- Clear pictures provide visual representation of words
- Comprehensive guide providing step-by-step guidance and instructions
- Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
- Ideal for use at home and in the classroom
- (Apps) Simple and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on the information presented and learning goals
- (Apps) Optional voice prompts
- (Apps) Pictures can be personalised to be specific to the child
When to start
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 is designed for children who are ready to learn their first words. They should be showing an understanding of objects and what they do, and may be attempting to communicate by babbling or using simple gestures.
Many children with Down syndrome will be ready to start these activities from about 18 months of age.
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 can also be used with older children who are not yet saying all of these words - even if they understand some of them.
See and Learn Vocabulary 1 is available as an app and as a ready-made kit.
- See and Learn Vocabulary 1 for Apple iPads
- See and Learn Vocabulary 1 for Android Tablets - coming soon
- See and Learn Vocabulary 1 for Windows 10 devices - coming soon
(Apps include US and UK English editions.)
This is the English edition kit. An English edition is also available from our US store.
Please visit the See and Learn web site for further information about See and Learn Language and Reading.