See and Learn First Phrases 2 Kit
(Excluding VAT where applicable)
See and Learn First Phrases 2 is designed to teach children with Down syndrome to progress from using single words to using two words together when they talk.
See and Learn First Phrases 2 teaches two-keyword phrases illustrated in themed books using early vocabulary that is taught in See and Learn First Vocabulary 1 and See and Learn First Vocabulary 2. Building on the sight words learned in See and Learn First Phrases 1, See and Learn First Phrases 2 also teaches sight word reading using simple matching, selecting and naming activities.
See and Learn First Phrases 2 introduces children with Down syndrome to early sight words to support the development of language skills. Research suggests that learning spoken language just from listening to it is hard for most children with Down syndrome, but if we support their learning using pictures and print they can make faster progress.
See and Learn First Phrases 2 includes 6 activities to teach 44 new two-keyword phrases and 30 new sight words. It also includes 7 sight words and 4 phrases that were previously taught in See and Learn First Phrases 1 to encourage success by building on and extending what your child already knows.
The phrases taught in See and Learn First Phrases 2 include 4 different types of two keyword phrases usually learned at this stage of language development. The sight words taught include nouns, verbs, adjectives, a preposition, an article (the), auxiliary verb (is) and conjunctions (and, with).
- Reading books - introduces your child to books, teaches the meaning of the phrases and begins to draw your child's attention to the printed words
- Matching sight words - encourages your child to look carefully at the written words and to link them with their spoken forms
- Selecting sight words - allows your child to demonstrate that they are learning to link each printed word with its spoken form
- Reading sight words - encourages your child to practice saying the words that they can read
- Understanding sight words - allows your child to show that they understand the words that they can read by matching written words with the corresponding pictures
- Understanding phrases - allows your child to show that they understand the phrases that they can read by matching phrases with the corresponding pictures
- Developmentally appropriate language for children learning early spoken words and phrases
- Activities designed to reduce language and working memory demands
- Clear pictures provide visual representation of words
- Comprehensive guide providing step-by-step guidance and instructions
- Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
- Ideal for use at home and in the classroom
- (Apps) Simple and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on the information presented and learning goals
- (Apps) Optional voice prompts
- UK English sight words: and, apple, ball, banana, bed, big, biscuit, boat, bread, bubbles, bus, car, cat, chair, coat, cutting, dinner, dirty, dog, eating, fish, flower, hair, horse, is, jumping, little, monkey, on, playing, rabbit, shoe, the, train, wet, with, yoghurt
- UK English phrases: big dog, little dog, big monkey, little monkey, big ball, little ball, cutting banana, cutting apple, cutting bread, cutting dinner, cutting flower, cutting hair, eating apple, eating bread, eating banana, eating yoghurt, eating biscuit, eating dinner, on the chair, on the bus, on the train, on the horse, on the boat, on the bed, playing with bus, playing with boat, playing with car, playing with train, playing with ball, playing with bubbles, wet dog, wet coat, dirty car, dirty shoe, wet hair, dirty bus, cat is jumping, dog is jumping, horse is jumping, rabbit is jumping, monkey is jumping, fish is jumping, cat is eating, dog is eating, horse is eating, rabbit is eating, monkey is eating, fish is eating
When to start
See and Learn First Phrases 2 is designed for children who:
- understand 80 or more words, including the words to be taught as sight words (see above)
- can say or sign 20 or more of the words that they understand
- can follow two-keyword instructions – for example, "wash face", "give baby a drink" in a play situation
Children who have completed the activities in See and Learn First Vocabulary 1, See and Learn First Vocabulary 2 and See and Learn First Phrases 1 should be ready to start the activities in See and Learn First Phrases 2.
See and Learn First Phrases 2 is available as an app and as a printed kit.
- See and Learn First Phrases 2 for Apple iPads
- See and Learn First Phrases 2 for Android Tablets - coming soon
- See and Learn First Phrases 2 for Windows 10 devices - coming soon
(Apps include US and UK English editions.)
This is the UK English edition. A US English edition is also available from our US store.
Please visit the See and Learn web site for further information about See and Learn Language and Reading.